The Lindenwood Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Lindenwood Review: a journal of literary prose
The Lindenwood Review accepts submissions of original, previously unpublished work from July 1 through October 1 via Submittable (no fee). Each year, writers may submit one piece in any of the following categories:
Fiction (short fiction or flash fiction)
Creative Nonfiction (personal essay, lyric essay, or flash nonfiction)
Submissions are welcome from both emerging and established writers. We are looking for fiction with believable characters and a vivid story; well-crafted, fiercely honest essays; prose poems with distinctive atmosphere and interesting use of language; and mostly, work that moves us as readers and inspires us as writers.
- Work may be submitted via Submittable from July 1 through October 1 (no fee).
- Submissions must be the writer’s original work and cannot be previously published in print or online.
- Writers may submit one piece per category each year. Submissions that include multiple pieces within the same category will not be considered for publication. Categories include Fiction (short fiction or flash fiction), Creative Nonfiction (personal essay, lyric essay, or flash nonfiction), and Prose Poems (in paragraph format).
- Simultaneous submissions to other journals are allowed, but we ask to be notified immediately via Submittable if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Maximum length for each submission is 15 pages. Minimum length is one paragraph.
- Double-space short fiction, personal essays, and lyric essays. Single-space flash fiction, flash nonfiction, and prose poems. Use a standard font size and style.
- Include your name and the title of your submission on the first page of your submission document. Do NOT include a cover page or an embedded header (other than page number), and do NOT include other contact info or your bio on your submission document. List your name exactly as you would like it to appear in the book if accepted for publication.
- In your Submittable entry, include a brief third-person bio, your email, and your mailing address.
- Work that is not accepted for publication will be noted as Declined in Submittable. No rejection emails will be sent, so please check Submittable for submission status. Acceptance notifications will be sent via email. All publication decisions will be made by February 1.
- Writers accepted for publication receive two contributor copies of The Lindenwood Review.
- Current students and faculty of Lindenwood University are not eligible to submit their work. (Alumni may submit.)
- The Board of Lindenwood University restricts some language and explicit content in university publications. When necessary, the editor will work with contributors on minor revisions to meet university requirements.
- Do not submit work that has been previously published elsewhere, whether online or in print.
- Do not submit multiple pieces in the same category.
- Do not submit poetry with stanzas/line breaks; only prose poems (in paragraph format) may be submitted as of issue 10.
- Submissions will not be considered for publication if they are sent via email or mail, if they are received before or after the submission period, or if they do not follow the posted guidelines.
Visit us at www.lindenwood.edu/lindenwoodReview, and feel free to contact us with questions at TheLindenwoodReview@lindenwood.edu.