The Lindenwood Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Lindenwood Review: a journal of literary prose is an annual online literary journal, produced with the support of the MFA in Writing program at Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Missouri. We accept submissions of original, previously unpublished work from July 1 through October 1 via Submittable (no fee). We publish fiction (short stories and flash fiction), creative nonfiction (personal essays, lyric essays, and flash nonfiction), and prose poems (paragraph format; no line breaks or stanzas). Submissions are welcome from both emerging and established writers. We are looking for fiction with believable characters and a vivid story; creative nonfiction that is well-crafted and fiercely honest; prose poems with a distinctive atmosphere and interesting use of language; and mostly, work that moves us as readers and inspires us as writers.
- Work may be submitted via Submittable from July 1 through October 1 (no fee).
- Submissions must be the writer’s original work and cannot be previously published in print or online.
- Writers may submit one piece per category each year. Categories include short stories, flash fiction, personal essays, lyric essays, flash nonfiction, and prose poems (paragraph format; no line breaks or stanzas). NOTE: Please be sure to choose the correct category when submitting your work.
- Simultaneous submissions to other journals are allowed, but we ask to be notified immediately via Submittable if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
- Maximum length for each submission is 10 pages. Minimum length is one paragraph.
- Double-space submissions. Use a standard font size and style.
- Include your name and the title of your submission on the first page of your submission document. List your name exactly as you would like it to appear in our journal if accepted for publication.
- In your Submittable entry electronic form, include a brief third-person bio (no more than 100 words) and your email address.
- All publication decisions will be made by February 1. Please check Submittable for your submission status.
- Writers accepted for publication receive a book-formatted pdf of their accepted work, along with a link for sharing their work. The journal will be published online at www.lindenwood.edu/lindenwoodReview in early spring.
- Current students and faculty of Lindenwood University are not eligible to submit their work. (Alumni may submit.)
- Do not submit work that has been previously published elsewhere, whether online or in print.
- Do not submit multiple pieces in the same category.
- Do not submit poetry with stanzas/line breaks; only prose poems in paragraph format will be considered for publication.
- Submissions will not be considered for publication if they are sent via email/mail or if they do not follow the posted guidelines.
NOTE: The number of submissions we can receive each month is limited; during our submission period of July 1 through October 1, if our Submittable page indicates that we are not currently accepting work, that means the month's maximum has been met, so please wait until the beginning of the next month to submit your work (final submission date is October 1).