The Lindenwood Review
There are presently no open calls for submissions.
The Lindenwood Review is the literary journal of Lindenwood University in St. Charles, Missouri, produced by the university’s MFA in Writing program. We accept submissions of fiction, poetry, and personal essays from July 1 through October 1 via Submittable (no fee). We also offer a free contest in a specific genre each year. Submissions are welcome from both new and established writers. Our poetry editor is looking for contemporary poetry with its own voice made of true words offered in fresh ways, deft line breaks (or in prose poems, pacing), and innovative forms. Our prose editors are looking for fiction with believable characters and a vivid story; well-crafted, fiercely honest essays; and mostly, work that moves us as readers and inspires us as writers.
Guidelines for Fiction, Poetry, and Personal Essays:
- Work may be submitted via Submittable from July 1 through October 1 (no fee).
- Submissions must be the author’s original work and cannot be previously published in print or online.
- Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but we ask to be notified immediately via Submittable if a piece is accepted elsewhere.
- A maximum of one short story, one personal essay, and three poems may be submitted each year. (One contest entry may also be submitted each year.)
- Maximum submission length for fiction and essay is 15 pages.
- Double-space fiction and essay; single-space poetry. Use a standard font size and style.
- Include your name and email address at the top of your submission document. List your name exactly as you would like it to appear in the book if accepted for publication.
- In Submittable, include a brief third-person bio, your email, and your mailing address on your submission form.
- Please read the note about language/content in the Restrictions section below.
- Work that is not accepted for publication will be noted as Declined on Submittable. No rejection emails will be sent, so please check Submittable for submission status. Acceptance notifications will be sent via email. All decisions will be made by January 15.
- Writers accepted for publication receive two contributor copies of The Lindenwood Review.
- Current students and faculty of Lindenwood University are not eligible to submit their work. (Alumni may submit.)
- The Board of Lindenwood University restricts some language and explicit content in university publications. When necessary, the editor will work with contributors on minor revisions to meet university requirements.
- Do not submit work that has been previously published elsewhere, whether online or in print.
- Submissions will not be considered for publication if they are sent via email or mail, if they are received before or after the submission period, or if they do not follow the posted guidelines.
Visit our website at www.lindenwood.edu/lindenwoodReview. Contact us with any questions at TheLindenwoodReview@lindenwood.edu.